Senate Bill 272
Approved on October 11, 2015, Senate Bill 272 adds a section to the California Public Records Act requiring local agencies by July 1, 2016 to create and annually update a catalog of Enterprise Systems and to post the catalog on the local agency's website.
An Enterprise System is defined as a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system of record that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Government Code Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.